How to Remove a HomeAid Garbage Disposal?
Removing a HomeAid garbage disposal can be expensive if you hire a plumber. Doing the job yourself will save you money and is a straightforward process. By using a few tools and completing a few steps, you will be able to remove your garbage disposal at minimal cost.
1. Shut off the power supply to the garbage disposal. Shut off the power supply from the circuit breaker or electrical service panel. Flip the switch controlling the electricity going to the garbage disposal on your circuit breaker.
Note: Confirm that the power supply has been shut off by attempting to turn the garbage disposal on before proceeding.
2. Unplug the garbage disposal from the wall socket. Unplug the garbage disposal from the wall. If the unit is hardwired into your home then you have to disconnect the wires.
Note: If the unit is hardwired to the house then you have to use a screwdriver to remove the plate covering the wire connections on the disposal. Disconnect the exposed wires and then remove the plate covering the junction box on the wall. Untwist the wire caps securing the disposal wires to your home wires and set the disposal’s wires on the side. Twist the wire capes over the exposed wires in the junction box, put the wires into the junction box and reattach the junction box plate.
Note: Use a voltage tester to ensure that there is no electrical voltage before putting the wires back in the junction box.
3. Loosen the hose clamp attaching the dishwasher hose to the barbed dishwasher nipple and remove the hose. Remove the pipe connecting the dishwasher to the side of the garbage disposal. Not all garbage disposals are connected to a dishwasher so this only applies for those that are connected.
4. Place a bucket under the waste pipe. When you disconnect the pipes there may be liquid leftover in the pipe. Placing a bucket underneath the pipes will catch any wastewater remaining in the pipes.
5. Use an adjustable wrench, pipe wrench or tongue-in-groove pliers to remove the fittings that are on the p-trap. This is a u-shaped pipe that connects to the garbage disposal and takes the wastewater away from the disposal.
6. Allow the water in the p-trap to drain into the bucket. Let any remaining water drain out of the pipe and into the bucket.
7. Remove the garbage disposal. Some models will unscrew from the sink drain while others might have a snap ring. To remove the snap ring insert a flat-head screwdriver under the ring to pry it open and off the flange.
Note: Make sure to hold the underside of the garbage disposal with your hand while removing. They are very heavy!
Note: You may want to put rags on the bottom of your cabinet as protection; in case the disposal drops this will protect your cabinet floor from damage.
8. Detach the mounting assembly. Remove the mounting assembly by first loosening the three mounting screws that hold the upper and lower rings apart. Remove the ring that is in a groove on the sink sleeve and then remove the sink sleeve, flange and fiber gasket.
Note: Clean out any remaining sealing gaskets, plumber's putty, or debris from the sink opening.
Note: If you are replacing your disposal with the same disposal then you can leave the mounting assembly.
Zhejiang Rosun Kitchen & Bath Technology Co., Ltd. is a manufacture of quality garbage disposer and accessories since 1992 with a registered capital of USD 1.5 million. It’s located in Yuhuan, Zhejiang Province of China, covers areas of 75,347 sq. ft, owns 129,167 sq. ft of workshop with more than 200 experienced workers and staffs.
Rosun established Disposer laboratory with an independent R&D team, together with a complete production system from moulding, casting, precision machining, polishing and assemble workshop since it’s founded, HomeAid has provided professional OEM & ODM services for numerous customers overseas and domestic.
We are a factory which specialized in garbage disposal & kitchen utensils, such as garbage disposal, sink strainer, bathtub and basin drain.
Our garbage disposal adopted advanced AC motor, which significantly lower the operation noise about 30 dBs than other garbage disposal on the USA market.
Our garbage disposal will satisfy your customer with its excellent ultra-quiet performance.
As a professional manufacture, we do made-to-order manufacturing at a competitive price and good quality. We are supplier of many world-famous brands and provided professional OEM & ODM services.
We own a senior R & D team and play a world leading role in AC motor garbage disposal.
If you need item samples & catalogue, please email us without hesitation, it’s pleasure to serve you.
We hope to build long-term business relation with you, looking forward to your inquiries.
Zhejiang Rosun Kitchen & Bath Technology Company
Address: Qinggang Industrial Cluster District, Yuhuan City, 317606, Zhejiang Province, China